Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Just can't get enough ♥ The Master's Sun

Posted by BTS Rkive at Wednesday, March 12, 2014
The Master’s Sun 주군의 태양 (Kdrama)
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Genres: Horror, Romantic comedy
Episodes: 17
Original run: 7 Aug 2013 - 3 Oct 2013
Starring: Gong Hyo Jin, So Ji Sub

Synopsis from Viki

What can a woman do when she develops a scary ability? In this part horror, part romantic comedy, Tae Gong Sil (Gong Hyo Jin) is a sweet woman who develops the ability to see ghosts after getting into a bad accident and coming out of a three-year coma. Her boss is the ambitious and cool CEO, Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub), who loves money more than anything else in the world. But as the haughty executive learns to trust his quirky employee and falls in love with her, can he help save her from her scary world of ghosts? “Master’s Sun” is a 2013 South Korean drama series written by Hong Mi Ran and Hong Jung Eun and directed by Jin Hyuk. The Hong sisters also wrote the recent successful dramas “Big” (2012) “My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox,” (2010), and “The Greatest Love” (2011), which garnered them the Writer of the Year Award at the 2011 MBC Drama Awards.

My Thoughts:

I've been procrastinating on watching The Master's Sun for a long time. Even though I've read so many good things about it all over the internet, the premise of this drama just didn't catch my interest. I'm not really a fan of ghost stories and I also didn't quite like the cover art that was used to promote this drama. But I must confess that the thing that kept me from watching The Master's Sun, sooner than I should have, was the cast. I've always been used to "Kkot MiNam" (aka flower boy) actors that I didn't find So Ji Sub very attractive. Later on I felt guilty for judging him based on the only picture I've seen of him (which, by the way, is the drama cover on the top of this post). Not attractive enough? I TAKE IT ALL BACK because So Ji Sub is oh super attractive and he just makes me swoon
Same thing goes for the female lead, Gong Hyo Jin; she just wasn't as pretty as the other korean actresses I've seen so far and after watching this drama I've concluded that the Korean Drama industry is actually not only formed by pretty and good looking actors. Surprisingly, there are actresses that are considered for their acting skills, rather than for their good looks.

This drama did a really great job on combining Horror, Romance and Comedy aspects, creating a perfect and heartwarming mix that makes viewers keep wanting for more.
So basically due to a major accident our protagonist, Tae Yang, starts seeing ghosts. Because of her ability she behaves in a bizzarre way and for that, people consider her to be weird and crazy. She later on discovers that by touching Joo Jong Won (CEO of a grand shopping mall) the ghosts that torment her disappear, so then she decides to go after him.

The chemistry between the two leads is lovely and outstanding. Tae Yang is the nice and sweet girl and Joo Jong Won is the typical arrogant rich man but because of Tae Yang, he begins to change and we see that he does have a warm and generous heart. These two have totally different personality that they balance each other so nicely and I really loved watching how their relationship grew and developed. They are, by far, my favorite kdrama couple! I liked the side characters as well and the different ghosts, who appeared in every episode, have a story of their own which was interesting to watch.

The producers promoted The Master's Sun more as a horror drama, rather than a rom-com, making viewers expect lots of dark scary moments. But to be honest there isn't much "horror" in this drama. Apart from a couple of spooky scenes this drama is all comedy and romance.

After I finished watching this drama I couldn't stop myself from watching it once again with my sister. Now that even You Who Came From The Stars ended, (Review coming soon) I'm at a complete and utter loss. I've been reblogging The Master's Sun gifs on tumblr, reading So Ji Sub articles wondering if he's starring in new rom-com drama but no he isn't.  -__-

If you're a fan of Romance comedy drama I recommend to watch The Master's Sun. But if you're new to kdramaland, you should watch other kdramas before watching this one to completely enjoy and realize how truly amazing this drama is.
If you still aren't convinced to check out The Master's Sun then this will make you want to watch it right away: Forced skinship

Favorite Quotes:
Joo Jong Won's "Kojo!" aka Get Lost!

“Why should I be afraid of a dead person? The living are scarier.” 
 “When your heart doesn’t tell you the truth, the pain will tell you the answer.”

My rating: 5/5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jiha's file © 2014 - Graphics by Jiha's file

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...