Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin

Posted by BTS Rkive at Monday, August 18, 2014
Title: Queen of Someday
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
My Rating: ★★★★☆ (more like 3.5)
Genres: YA, Historical Fiction, Romance
Publication: October 7th 2014 by Clean Teen Publishing
Format Read: eARC via NetGalley
Goodreads/Amazon/Book Depository

Description from Goodreads
ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?

My Review:

CONS:
- The book focused on what was happening inside the palace, but I was a bit curious to know what was going on outside of it. Sophie constantly said that there would be a war if she didn't marry Peter and become the queen of Russia, but I didn't feel that the stakes were that high. And this is why I believe that the alliances among the European countries should have been explained in detail, because I didn't fully understand how fragile they were.
- When is the story set? I know that it takes place in the past, but I don't know the exact year. I've never been good at history, so I don't know much about Queen Catherine.

PROS:
- I liked Sophie's transformation during her time in the palace. It was interesting to see how this innocent and brave girl became the strong queen of Russia. I was rooting for her from the very beginning, especially since everyone wanted to get rid of her. During her stay in the palace she learned about love, loss and betrayal, but I liked that she didn't let these things faze her; she accepted her fate, and learned to make the best of life.
- I love the historicalness of this book; I was a big fan of the balls, banquets, maze like halls and rich gowns.
- The story wasn't predictable. Whenever I thought I knew where the story was going, something unexpected always happened. I was more than half way through this book and still didn't know how it would end.
- The side characters are very interesting. Obviously, I liked all those who are on Sophie's side, especially Sergei - he was kind and understanding from the very beginning.

All in all, this is not your typical happy ending book. It's happy/sad, but I love the way the book ended. The main character is great and doesn't whine about how unfair her life is. Although I had a few issues with the setting, I truly enjoyed reading Queen of Someday. If you like a lot of drama and intrigue then this book is for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jiha's file © 2014 - Graphics by Jiha's file

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...