Friday, May 23, 2014

Review: White Girl Problems by Tara Brown

Posted by BTS Rkive at Friday, May 23, 2014
Title: White Girl Problems
Author: Tara Brown
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★☆ 
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Published: December 14th 2013
Format: Kindle, 267 pages

Description from Goodreads
Why did the white girl cross the road... 

When a severely drunk and slightly drugged Finley Roze slipped into a hospital bed, she never imagined it would start her on a path to meeting the man of her dreams. Mostly because she didn't believe in the man of her dreams, what seventeen year old even thinks of that?

But when Aiden Sorenson turns out to be Mr. Right everything else ends up being wrong, including Finley's family history.

But what is an average teenage girl if she isn't resilient, stubborn, and charming when she needs to be?

Don't miss this True Love Story, AKA fairy tale romance.

Just don't tell Finley.

My Review:

I knew when I set eyes on this book that I had to read it. The title is so eye-catching, and it instantly attracted me. I think the title alone, will easily compel any other reader to read this book.

Sometimes I take too many selfies and I don't know which one I should post, and I want to post them all, but then I don't want to look narcissistic. 

The protagonist, Finley, is 17 and a drama queen who's obsessed with instagram, twitter and basically any kind of social network. She tells lies, talks in circles, and is the typical spoiled and stubborn teenage girl. Now, I know she sounds like an awful character, and to be honest I hated her at first. But then she gradually changes, and when I realized that she's just another confused soul I started to like her. But it takes her a while to get her act together, and I suppose she would have never changed if her father hadn't sent her away. I think her friends are a really bad influence, and her evil stepmother only makes things worse.

So, Finley has to spend summer with her mom's aunt, Hattie, and that is when I truly started enjoying this book. I really like how the author writes about the elderly people; she incorporates them to the story adding some unusual yet entertaining side characters, and she manages to do that without making it look awkward. The presence of wise people around Finley has certainly helped her to mature, but most of her transformation is thanks to Aiden, who's the only other young kid in town.

"I missed your Shakespeare."
He leaned in, taking a deep inhale of my hair. "And I missed the scent of you in my air." 

I think Finley and Aiden are so perfect together. The two have opposite personalities; he's responsible, secretive and sweet while she's reckless, mouthy and stubborn. Their differences are definitely what attracts them to each other. I really like Aiden, not only because he's handsome and caring, but also because he is wise beyond his years. He's passionate about everything he does, and I like how he doesn't play around with girls, unlinke the other boys in Finley's school. 
Aside from the two main characters and the elderly people, all the other characters are enjoyable to read as well.

The author's writing is fabulous! I really enjoyed all the funny quotes and the clever dialogues. This author certainly knows how to make her readers laugh, and keep them entertained. But aside from the humor, there are also some serious stuff. The book deals a lot with family issues and friendship. Finley has to go through a lot of things, like dealing with self-doubt and the fact that everyone thinks she did drugs and cut herself. It's all more difficult for her because she doesn't have the support of her family, and her friends betrayed her.

The only reason I know anything about history and the world is the smart people who cast the historical romances with yummy dudes! 

Although I immensly enjoyed reading this book, I didn't give it 5 stars because the story is predictable, and I already knew how it would end. It also focuses a little on history and historical monuments which are not really my thing. There was a part when the book got all descriptive, and was a bit boring. But except for that, I fully enjoyed the rest of the story.

A fairy tale romance mixed with Mean Girls and a pinch of Cinderella story, White Girl Problems is a really amusing and enjoyable book that will make readers burst out laughing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jiha's file © 2014 - Graphics by Jiha's file

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...